Types of web applications
Basic Technology Skills -> web applications ->types of web applications
There are two definitions of the types of web applications. The first (from wiki.answers.com):
- Client Side - Client side web application executes at client side(on browser) & all the resources of pages loads at clients side.
- Server Side - Server side web application executes at central server in which page life cycle goes on at server end
The second definition (from oracle.com)
- Presentation-oriented. A presentation-oriented Web application generates dynamic Web pages containing various types of markup language (HTML, XML, and so on) in response to requests.
- Service-oriented. A service-oriented Web application implements the endpoint of a fine-grained Web service. Service-oriented Web applications are often invoked by presentation-oriented applications.
However, from the aspect of YOU the user, you really only care about what the web application does, and how it will help you. So, it is easier to talk about types of web applications based on use:
- social networking websites (Facebook, MySpace, hi5.com, Xanga, Classmates.com)
- image websites (Snapfish, Flickr, Photobucket, Shutterfly)
- online calendars (Google Calendar, O2 Calendar, Yahoo! Calendar)
- chat sites (chat-avenue, omgpop, czateria, Meebo)
- online shopping websites (just about ANY store -- the grandfather of online shopping is Amazon)
- online telephone directories (Yellow.com, White Pages, AnyWho)
- blog pages (Blogger, Word Press, Tumbir)
- online news publishers (Press Smart, The Drudge Report, Open Publish)
- online dictionaries (ExamplesThe American Heritage Dictionary, Dictionary.com)
- webmail servicies (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, HotMail)
- map servers (Google Maps, MapQuest)
- internet search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo)
- alternatives to desktop software applications (Google Docs, Slide Rocket, Avairy, Mint
The last category is one of the fastest growing. It allows you to NOT have to have software on your computer (downloading, installing, updating). These applications take the place of many high cost programs. To find out more -- click on Examples of Web Applications on the left.
Perhaps the most notable type of web applications are those under the social networking category -- to see more, click below.