Marcia Mentkowski, PhD
Senior Scholar Educational Research
Chair Research and Evaluation Council
Director Emerita Educational Research and Evaluation
Educational Research and Evaluation
3400 South 43rd Street
PO Box 343922
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53234-3922
| Send E-Mail
Contact Marcia at:
Vita Narrative Summary
Mentkowski initiated Alverno's approaches to educational research and institutional assessment in 1976, including the Alverno longitudinal research, the validation of performance assessment, and evaluation of major fields.
- serves on Alverno's Educational Policies Committee
- is a long-standing member of Alverno's Council for Student Assessment
- is a member of Alverno's Valuing in Decision-Making Department
- has served on Alverno's Curriculum Committee
- Advisory Board of Core Commitments: Educating Students of Personal and Social Responsibility (AAC&U)
- immediate past Vice President of Division I (Education in the Professions) of the American Educational
- Research Association (AERA)American Evaluation Association (AEA)
- Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U)Association for Moral Education (AME)
- Fellow of the American Psychological Association (APA)
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
- Consulting editor for Assessment Update
- National Council on Measurement in Education (NCME)
- Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD)
- Editorial board of Active Learning in Higher Education
- Editorial board of Learning in Health Social Care
Recent Publications Include
That Lasts: Integrating Learning, Development, and Performance in College and Beyond
Mentkowski, M., & Associates. (2000). Learning that lasts: Integrating learning, development, and performance in college and beyond. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Enacting a Collaborative Scholarship of Assessment
Mentkowski, M., & Loacker, G. (2002). Enacting a collaborative scholarship of assessment. In T. W. Banta & Associates, Building a scholarship of assessment (pp. 8299). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Higher Education Assessment and National Goals for Education: Issues, Assumptions, and Principles
Mentkowski, M. (1998). Higher education assessment and national goals for education: Issues, assumptions, and principles. In N. M. Lambert & B. L. McCombs (Eds.), How students learn: Reforming schools through learner-centered education (pp. 269–310). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- How Assessment Practitioners Who Are Educational Researchers Can Contribute to Assessment in Higher Education
Mentkowski, M. (1994, January-February). How assessment practitioners who are educational researchers can contribute to assessment in higher education. Assessment Update, 6(1), 1–2, 10–11.
- Creating a Culture Where Assessment Improves Learning
Loacker, G., & Mentkowski, M. (1993). Creating a culture where assessment improves learning. In T. W. Banta & Associates, Making a difference: Outcomes of a decade of assessment in higher education (pp. 5–24). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Accessible and Adaptable Elements of Alverno Student Assessment-as-Learning: Strategies and Challenges for Peer Review
Mentkowski, M. (in press). Accessible and adaptable elements of Alverno student assessment-as-learning: Strategies and challenges for peer review. In C. Bryan & K. Clegg (Eds.), Innovative assessment in higher education. London, UK: Taylor and Francis.
Return to Educational Research and Evaluation Members List