Pre-Health Professional Studies










iv therapy














return to top

return to alverno home page





Required courses for professional school

Professional schools are not in total agreement concerning required courses. This is true between different fields (i.e. medicine vs. veterinary) and even within fields (Medical College of Wisconsin vs. University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School).Therefore, listed below is only a partial list of the minimal requirements for most schools. Be sure to check with the schools that you are interested in for their specific requirements.

Introductory science (SC119 and SC120)
Inorganic chemistry (CH260)
Organic chemistry (CH221 and 322)
Microbiology (BI251)
Additional biology courses (genetics, BI351, cellular biology, BI325, anatomy and physiology, BI231, biochemistry CH/BI328)
Literature (EN210, EN310)
Pre-calculus (MT146)

Early in your academic career consult the web page of the school that you are interested in attending for a list of their required courses, then make an appointment with the pre-professional advisor to see which Alverno courses fit those requirements. This should be done EARLY in your academic career! (You would hate to wait until your senior year to find out that you do not have all the requirements for a particular school.) It is also highly recommended that at the beginning of your junior year you meet with an admissions counselor at one of the professional schools you are most interested in attending to review your academic classes against their academic admissions requirements.

Many schools also have courses that are highly recommended, but not necessarily required.

PCAT (The Pharmacy College Admissions Test)

The University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy and 79 other pharmacy schools require the PCAT. The specialized PCAT identifies qualified pharmacy students by measuring general academic ability and science knowledge. Five content areas include verbal, quantitative, biology, chemistry, and reading. The PCAT is usually offered in the spring and fall.

The following website contains frequently asked questions on registering for the PCAT; however, this website does not contain the PCAT application nor does it include specific instructions for filling out the application:

You will need a printed Candidate Information Booklet in order to apply for the PCAT. You may obtain a copy of the Candidate Information Booklet from a PCAT Test Center, from certain pharmacy schools, or by contacting The Psychological Corporation directly at 1-800-662-3231.

Links to web pages of schools in the area:

University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy

Professional Organizations:

American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy

American Pharmaceutical Association